24 February 2009

Comet chasing

I got up at 3:00 am this morning to try and find a comet in the sky. This morning comet Lulin was it's brightest, just below Saturn in the south-western sky. I don't know for sure if I found the comet, but it was fun watching the stars and learning some new constellations.

Star gazing is one of the things that I think our society has unfortunately lost. With lights everywhere it can be frustrating to try, and we know so little of what is in the sky that it has little meaning. For me it is like staring out at the ocean. Both experiences bring a feeling of wonder at all that is before me and a curiosity of all that lies beyond my vision.

I remember fondly laying out at night watching meteor showers, gazing at the milky way, anticipating a lunar eclipse and times with my grandpa learning a few of the constellations. I would love a day, or I should say night, where everyone agrees to turn out their outdoor lights. A holiday to watch the stars. Instead of everyone going to watch fireworks we could enjoy laying out and searchings the sky for familiar and new constellations.

No comments: