13 January 2009

Ender - Orson Scott Card

I came to the Ender series late. I never did read any of Orson Scott Card’s books as a teenager. I finally read Ender’s Game recently and was very impressed.

The copy of Ender's Game that I read had questions at the back to be used in classroom discussion. The questions had the potential to elicit very serious answers and yet were directed at young adults. These questions echoed many of the thoughts I had as I read and pondered the book.

I have been reading some of the other books in the Ender saga. Card has the ability to draw me in quickly with each book. A real part of the satisfaction is not simply the good story and approachable delivery; I enjoy the deep potential thoughts that are brought up throughout each book.

I also came across Card’s Alvin Maker series and feel the same way. This series is a historical fantasy set in an alternate colonial North America. This series is directed at a more mature audience because of the themes, but it is undergirded with deep issues to think about.

I don’t know if Card intends his works to be as deep as I read them, but it is wonderful to enjoy a book not only for the story but also for the things it makes you think about.

1 comment:

Coop said...

The Ender's Game books (including the Shadow series) are crucial reading for anybody who is or will be associating with a high achieving child. In other words, everybody.