13 January 2009

The Alchemist

When I began this short book by Paulo Coelho I was skeptical. I felt as I did while reading The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clayson. I did not agree fully with the motivations of the individuals in the story, but as I continued to read both books I found lessons that I could easily apply to myself and my own experience.

For those unfamiliar with these books they discuss ways to achieve goals and are set in times long ago. The Richest Man in Babylon is specifically about paying yourself first to provide financial freedom. The Alchemist is about following your personal dream. I recommend both books and the overall messages that they have to share.

The sticking point for me that I had to get past was that I saw much of the individual motivations based on selfishness. I know that I have many selfish desires myself, and probably many I don’t realize, but I have spent a lot of energy trying to curb many of those selfish desires.

Perhaps we all need a certain amount of healthy selfishness in our lives. I find motivation a much friendlier word, and this is how I view healthy selfishness. We need the motivation to get out and do productive things and build worthwhile relationships.

The side of selfishness that bothered me the most in the story was the lack of commitment to other people close to the main character. Granted this may only be my perception, but in comparing these characters to myself they had very few if any obligations to others. I feel that it is natural for us to take upon ourselves obligations that should determine decisions we make in the future. With a family it is not appropriate to leave or force your family into a difficult situation. I don’t mean to say that family commitments restrict our dreams, these commitments just add another layer of things that must be considered before major actions are undertaken.

I believe that our lives are more meaningful when shared with others. If we expand self to include family and others important to us then acting upon selfish motivation for this expanded self will bring more happiness to our lives.

1 comment:

Bre said...

I appreciate your unselfishness and sacrifice for our family. I love you.