24 October 2008

Purple mountain majesties

Since moving to the Pikes Peak region I have had a number of occasions to admire the morning purple mountain majesties that Katharine Lee Bates wrote about. This morning I witnessed perhaps the most beautiful (or stunning) sunrise that I have ever seen, but it was facing the other direction. In fact this sunrise surpassed most sunsets that I have seen. Expansive, vibrant, contrasting colors that slowly shifted along the clouds.

This a fortunate location to see wonderful sunrises and sunsets. Open plains to the east in the morning, sloping hills to the west for wonderful mountains framed by the sunset.

Now if I could just leave it there. I really did enjoy the experience, I am just frustrated at the futility of trying to take a photograph to capture the colors and expanse of the sunrise. Why is it that a photograph can't capture an image to invoke the feeling of watching the sunrise? Would a time lapse be any better? How does the artist capture feelings in their work?

I realize that my experience was most likely unique to me, but how can I experience it again? How does one preserve the moment?

No comments: